"There is no passion to be found playing small - in settling for a life that is less than the one you are capable of living." - Nelson Mandela

Friday, June 3, 2011

School of Hope

Today was a good way to end the week. We went to Thembalethu School for Children with Special Needs. This was a very uplifting experience because the children were all so happy and the people working there were all so excited about bettering the lives of these children. It was something I really needed to see after the week that I had. I have seriously been considering relocating and continuing my graduate education in South Africa. The opportunities that have been shown to me here appear to be so rewarding.

We ended our visit with the school’s choir performing for us. If I saw any glimpse of hope during this last week it was in these kids. It’s kind of ironic that thembalethu is the Xhosa word for hope. The kids had amazing voices and began dancing during their performance, even the kids in the wheelchairs were dancing! I had a permanent smile on my face during their performance. Aside from all of the other things I’ve seen this week, this school was very well kept and they even had the tools they needed to provide the best care and help for the children.

Leaving Gugs left me with a bittersweet feeling. I was so excited to leave the tragedy and sorrow that I felt in that community but I was also very sad that I was leaving because I felt like I was abandoning the problems presented to me. I will miss the people that we met, especially my host mama and sisi, but I’m happy to be back to a place that won’t constantly remind me that I’m more privileged than a lot of people here. I will forever think of Guguletu and be appreciative of my time there.

Thanks for blogging,
Brittany

No comments:

Post a Comment