"There is no passion to be found playing small - in settling for a life that is less than the one you are capable of living." - Nelson Mandela

Friday, May 27, 2011

Nervous Wreck

Hello everyone! I had the privilege of being on top of Table Mountain today! Google it if you haven’t seen it because it’s delightful! I was over 3,000 feet above sea level and have never been such a nervous wreck. The view was gorgeous and nothing in my life, not even the birth of a child or a wedding day, could surpass the beauty of standing on top of a mountain. I can’t explain how amazing it was so I’m sorry for the lack of information and visual aid that I’m giving here! Fun fact: Dossies (google a picture of it) are most closely related to African Elephants. And I’m probably bringing one home with me! I also learned how to speak another language this morning! (HA! Barely!) We had a quick lesson on the language of Xhosa and this language includes clicks! A very difficult sound to perfect but it is one of the coolest things to hear. I’ll be giving Xhosa lessons when I get home for about R100 (100 Rand) a lesson. J

On Sunday we’re leaving our lodge in Observatory to be staying with a host family for one week in the township of Guguletu. Nekey and I are staying with a grandmother and her fourteen year old granddaughter. The last two days I’ve become really nervous about this experience and it’s really disappointing me because this was the part of the course that I was looking most forward to. I think this anxiety set in after driving around Cape Town and previewing the conditions that many families in townships live in. How can I possibly prepare myself for something that I’m not exposed to in the US and know nearly nothing about? I think the biggest challenge that I’m going to face is to know that others are much less privileged than I am. I think I’m going to be devastated when I begin seeing that people’s NEEDS aren’t being fulfilled but my WANTS have been. The only thing I keep reminding myself is that I can’t change every person’s life in a township by handing out money (which I don’t even have!). It’s just difficult for me because my heart already hurts for the kids that I will be meeting. Kids will definitely be my soft spot.

I’m also getting really disappointed with myself because I keep becoming fearful for my safety next week. This is irritating to me because I shouldn’t be making judgments based from stereotypes and I’ve been reassured numerous times by Aaron that the families we’re staying with are upstanding in their communities and live in houses, not shacks. I’m aware of my misconceptions but something in my gut just won’t let them go. I don’t want these misconceptions to hold me back in my experience at the township. The only expectation I had from this trip was to gain the most knowledge and insight while staying in the township and I don’t want that expectation to be failed because of my petty fear.

Ok, this is a short one because I still need to write a paper. It’s 8:15 PM and I need to get up at 6:30 AM for our safari! So hopefully my blog tomorrow will include giraffes, elephants, zebras, lions, cheetahs, and a whole lot more of animals from the wild kingdom! Watch out Rafiki, here I come!

Thanks for blogging,
Brittany

No comments:

Post a Comment